Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Recreational Vehicles (RVs) have special tires designed to cover various types of terrain; from sandy beaches, rocky roads, muddy routes, and trails. Sometimes the tires blowout, get punctures, or just deflate air and from a personal experience, it is advisable to a have portable air compressor.
This is why I decided to compile this unbiased listing of the best portable air compressors for RV tires from some of the brands I have used and tested. I own a 2019 Coachmen Concord 300DS Rv and I don’t want to avoid stuck again in the middle of nowhere due to low pressure tires.
High efficiency, durability, and length of the hose should be the main elements you are looking for when it comes to portable air compressors for RV tires. There are RV air compressors at different prices. Some cost less than $100 while others cost more than $200 (usually the best).
The cost varies depending on the quality of the materials used in the making and the efficiency of the performance. The ones for large tires will cost more than the ones that discharge a lower airflow, which will not be efficient for larger RV tires.
Portable air compressors save one the hustle of going to the gas station. In some remote places where not many vehicles are; it is unlikely to find a gas station, therefore, owning one is beneficial.
Campers and overlanders who constantly find themselves in remote areas with tough terrain understand the need of having one. if you do not use it for your vehicle, you might meet someone who needs it.
It is important to have proper tire pressure. The correct tire pressure for a motorhome is known as the ‘recommended cold inflation pressure’. Inflate your RV tires before you start driving since heat during movement will expand your tires.
This helps to keep your tires for a longer period; it is a preventive maintenance measure as it keeps you safe on the road. This helps avoid tire accidents and it is very important for gas mileage too.
- 1 List of Best Portable Air Compressors for RV Tires
- 2 The Benefits of Having a Portable Air Compressor
Things to Consider When Buying a Portable Air Compressor
Purpose for use – Since we need it for RV tires, we first need to look at its ability to perform the required task. Will it deliver the required quantity of compressed air? The tools should also match the compressor.
Reliability- Finding a reliable compressor unit is not easy. The air compressor should be dependable to avoid disappointments on the road.
Size of the Tire – Each compressor can support a certain diameter for tires and some good models like Viair can pump up to 35″ tires.
Storage tank- You will require a large tank. A smaller tank will give the limitation of a shorter stream The storage is also important for enough air storage for emergency use.
Pump type- The type of pump for your air compressor affects its performance. Protection features such as oil-less compressors which require little oil for cylinder lubrication should be considered. Such a features make the compressor lighter hence more portable.
Durability- This is for your daily usability, the materials used in its making should be long lasting and ensure that it has weather protection installation.
Hose length and strength – Will it be able to inflate your vehicle to the required PSI without bursting? The length of the hose should be long enough to reach the hind tires from the car battery without straining and the recommended length is usually 20 -50 feet (average length of RVs). My Coachmen Concord is 32.8 feet long and I always have to take this in consideration when getting a compressor.
This analysis is based on my personal Rving experience coupled with a thorough research by analyzing and testing plus feedback from other RV owners. We have compiled a list for you with many factors in consideration for the ranking of portable air compressors.
This will save your time and ensures you don’t make some mistakes others, including me, have already made from different types of portable air compressors. Now, let’s first take a look at the list of best portable air compressors for rv tires.
List of Best Portable Air Compressors for RV Tires
|Black+ Decker 20V Max Cordless Tire Inflator||Check Price On Amazon|
|Viair 40047 400P-RV Compressor Kit||Check Price On Amazon|
|Tirewell 12V Tire Inflator||Check Price On Amazon|
|Smittytbilt 2781 Universal Air Compressor||Check Price On Amazon|
|Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor||Check Price On Amazon|
This is an oil-less air compressor and can inflate tire sizes up to 275/80/22.5 tires. I have been using this air compressor as my all-time compressor for 1.5 years now and it has always performed well.
It has a maximum PSI of 150. It is meant for RV tires but it can be used on any other tire as it comes with accessories that can be used to fit other types of tires or any other inflation need. It is the best portable air compressor for tires up to 22.5” in diameter.
It has an automatic shutoff function. This means that your tire cannot be underinflated or overinflated. It has heavy-duty Dual Battery clamps with an incline fuse. It operates at 12V drawing 30 Amps. You have to ensure your battery can support this voltage and current rating.
Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor has to be powered using a car battery while the vehicle is running to prevent draining the battery since it’s a high power consumption device. It comes with a heavy-duty portable bag for storage. Switching between filling tires and checking their pressure is easy and efficient due to the availability of a trigger on the inflation gun.
It also has a 90-degree twist on chuck which is itself a 45-degree turn. The 150 PSI gauge comes in handy as one knows the amount of air pressure you want to put in the tire. It can also be used to deflate tires.
It has a gas-station style tire inflation. It pumps up to 2.3 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) which is quite high and fills tires fast. It also has a heat shielded Quick connect.
It come with a high quality air hose with the primary length being 30 feet which is enough for most RVs especially with the help of the 8 feet power cable which enables the compressor to be moved towards the back tires. This air hose has an extension of 30 feet which makes the total length to be 60 feet.
- It has a maximum pressure rating of 150 PSI
- It has an automatic shutoff function to prevent under inflation or over inflation of tires
- It has a high airflow rate of 2.3 CFM @0 PSI
- It is lightweight making it advantageous when it comes to storage space utilization in your RV
- It is very easy to use
- It has a heavy-duty portable bag for storage
- It is fast and effortless to fill. You do not need to stay there and hold it on the tire to fill
- It has reduced vibration on the surface due to its unique swinging mounting
- It is durable due to the high quality of the materials used in its making
- It can only do a 100 PSI continuous for 20 minutes before it needs to cool down. If overused it can overheat.
- It is a bit expensive
- It has a 30 Amps rating which require a lot of power and thus the vehicle has to keep running
This is a battery-powered air compressor. It is a RV compressor that operates on 12V. It has dimensions of 9.8×4.26×8.26 inches, making it small in size therefore easily portable.
It has a maximum PSI of 150 and a 2.12 CFM airflow. It has an average air hose of 16 feet and thus only suitable for short RV vehicles. It has double cylinders which are Direct Drive inflation pumps.
It has rubber under it to reduce movement when pumping. The rubber also acts as an anti-vibration absorber. It has very low noise.
It comes with a good battery clamps to connect directly to your RV battery. This clamp can be used for your coffee maker or some other electronic devices too because it can be disconnected.
Tirewell 12V Compressor comes in different configurations and thus it is important to ensure the configuration you order has a long air hose. This is the specific Tirewell for RV Tires.
This is one of the most affordable compressors for RV tires as it retails for less than 100 dollars. It performs well despite its low price and thus a good choice for those people working with a budget.
- It is quiet and has little vibration
- It has valve screws that help keep it in place therefore no need to hold it
- It has fast inflation which is also easy and effective
- It is also affordable for its effectiveness
- It can only operate by using a 20V battery as the only power source and has to be purchased separately.
- The gauge is faulty as it keeps the air inside. The tire pressure set increases quickly to 50_100 PSI when the pump is started. To counter this as it caused by air blocked immediately remove
- The cylinders heat up fast. It can only be used for 10 minutes and then be left to cool off for around 15 minutes. This helps to avoid the breakage of the device
Smittybilt 2781 is another great air compressor for RVs. It delivers a staggering 5.65 CFM of air. This Universal Air Compressor operates on a voltage unit of 12V.
It is 16.1×11.4×10.8 inches and weighs around 20.3 pounds. It also has thermal regulators to prevent overheating to protect the motor against damage. It has a maximum airflow of 72 liters per minute and a 150 PSI maximum pressure which works for most vehicles.
Smittybilt 2781 has a maximum continuous cycle of 40 minutes at 40psi. It has an electric circuit breaker to avoid overheating and damage to the device. It has a max amp draw of 45.
It has the convenience of being able to air-up or air-down depending on the terrain that one covers. This is very suitable for campers, overlanders, and both off-road and on-road users. It has great clamps and can fill 35” tires in 1-2 minutes.
Apart from RV tires, Smittytbilt 2781 Universal Air Compressor also happens to be the best portable air compressor for truck tires.
- It has a duty cycle of 40 minutes @ 0 psi before you can give it a rest.
- It is fast and efficient
- It has anti-vibration rubber at the feet and a dust seal over the on/off switch
- It is quiet and one can hold a conversation while it’s running
- It comes with accessories at the same price
- It is durable and can withstand water and mud. It can be permanently installed onto one’s RV since it is going to be used often.
- It has an oil-less and direct drive motor
- The hose length is long enough to reach all tires from your RV
- The storage bag is poor quality so you need to buy one for yourself
- It has no tank for storage
- The gauge has a few errors in calculation. The screw-on fill tip can be inconvenient as it is not tight hence you lose a little bit of air
Viair is a highly reputable company and this is another of their top air compressors, for RVs and trailers. Viair 00088 88P RV compressors operate on a standardized 12 Volts.
Their 12V portable compressors can be used by anyone because their user manual is very straightforward. Viar 00088P is without doubt the best camping air compressor. They are widely available and can be bought online through Amazon or other retailers.
The Viair 00088P Portable Air Compressor is the best at its affordable price. It is also made from high-quality material. Its design is also great. It takes a very short time to inflate your tires. This is the 4th best portable air compressor for RV tires
The noise level and vibration are also lower. It does weigh 4.5 pounds only. It has dimensions of 6.75×6.25×10.75 inches, max tire size is 33”. Its power source can either be electric or a car battery. It does not include cigarette lighter connectors hence goes directly to your RV battery making it powerful.
The Viair 00088 88P has a lower maximum pressure than the Viair 40047 400P-RV. Viair 00088 88P has a maximum PSI of 120 and an airflow of 1.47 CFM. Viair 00088P can also be used as an air compressor for 80 PSI tires too. It comes with LED work light and a max current draw of 20 Amps.
The air hose quality is high and long enough to reach both front and back tires. The hose is heavier. The brass screw-on fitting gives a nice seal with a valve stem which removes the need to hold the chuck on the valve system and prevents leakage. The battery clamps are very well made.
- It is affordable
- The noise level and vibration are low
- Good customer service and warranty in case of damage, they respond to their customer’s questions on time so be free to contact them
- It can be used on both small and larger tires seen on off-road vehicles and truck
- It has options for battery connectors and cigarette lighter plugins.
- It is lightweight making it advantageous when carrying it for your trips
- It also conserves storage space due to its size
- The power indicator and the built-in gauge are on different sides. You cannot operate without a flashlight at night as it can be difficult to operate.
- It overheats and becomes very hot when used for a long duration
This is the most portable air compressor for RV tires due to the fact that it comes with a Lithium battery and thus truly cordless. However, it has a total of 3 power options which include; 12 VDC (car battery), 20 V Lithium-Ion Battery, and 120 VAC (can be powered from the mains).
This unit is similar to Dewalt Portable Air compressor except that it uses a screw-on chuck. It has a maximum pressure of 160 PSI. It has a clip-on chuck. It has three different ways to be powered: cigarette lighter plug, using a 20-volt lithium-ion battery, or a 120 volt.
The Black and Decker Compressor has different accessories for various tires and objects to be inflated. It comes with a BDINF20 Inflator, Large Volume Hose, Presta Valve Adapter, Ball Needle (your kids will never be disappointed again with deflated balls) and a Small Inflatable Adapter.
It is good to note that this compressor does not come with a battery or charger for the 120VAC mains by default and thus one has to acquire them separately for about 30 bucks more each. However, It is good to note, if you already have a set of Black and Decker tools that use the 20V Lithium battery (BLACK+DECKER LBXR20), you can use them too on this cordless air compressor.
- It has 3 power choices
- It is very compact. You can carry it anywhere
- It is easy to use and fast
- It is well-built and affordable for its effectiveness compared to the price
- It is multipurpose. It can be used to inflate anything from toys, soccer balls, and any type of tires
- The inflation tube is stiff and shorter
- The storage area for the cigarette lighter is so small
- It can only operate by using a 20V battery as the only power source and has to be purchased separately
The Benefits of Having a Portable Air Compressor
They are easy to use, just set the air pressure you will require for your car tire and inflate. It will automatically turn off at the set level.
It is convenient as it makes your traveling less stressful due to the quick process to inflate your tires. It can be attached to your car battery or a cigarette lighter, rechargeable battery or AC power and it inflates your RV.
Its ability to multifunction is an added advantage of using RV air compressors as it can inflate different items from RV tires, camping air mattresses, soccer balls, bike tubes, motorcycle tires, truck tires, trailer tires, and any other inflatable things.
It is a piece of very efficient equipment. We should not forget the durability of RV air compressors. They are long-lasting as they are of high quality. Most are made of high-quality stainless steel that cannot corrode or even rust.
From my RV trips, the Viair 40047 400P-RV Compressor Kit stood out as the best air compressor for RV tires due to its outstanding performance compared to the other models. Additionally, Viair 40047 400P-RV has a maximum pressure of 150 PSI which works very well for most RVs, a 60 feet air hose (the longest I have ever seen), and high air flow at 2.3 CFM.
With the top air compressors one doesn’t have to wait for long to fill the tires with air. Some of the best compressors also have other accessories such as the Presta Valve Adapter, and Ball Needle among others.
All the models I featured in this unbiased listing performed fairly well compared to tens of others. Thus, if you chose any of them (depending on your personal preferences), be sure it will serve you well. Some people prefer the long air hose while others prefer a cordless model like Black and Decker.
Have a great RVing time.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.